• 1 ½ cups brown or green lentils
• red onion-sliced thin
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 clove garlic-minced
• 1 Tablespoon Golden Balsamic Vinegar
• ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 6 cups organic mixed greens (arugula, spinach)
• ½ cup goat or feta cheese
1. Rinse the lentils and cover them with cold water by at least two inches in a pot. Add the bay leaf to the pot. Put the pot on to boil. Cook the lentils just until tender to the bite, about 20 minutes*. Drain the lentils and discard bay leaf.
2. Combine the garlic, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and let sit about 10 minutes. Whisk in the oil to finish the dressing.
3. Sauté red onions and add to the cooked lentils. Combine the dressing and toss to coat thoroughly.
4. Serve lentil and red onion mixture over mixed greens and toss to combine. Toss in the feta cheese or use it to garnish each serving.
*Note: cooking time of lentils can vary widely; Taste test after 15 minutes.