• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ tablespoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ginger powder
• ¾ cup canola oil
• 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
• ½ cup apple sauce (no sugar added or unsweetened)
• ¼ cup Greek yogurt (any fat amount 1% or 2%)
• 3 large eggs, room temperature
• 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups carrots, finely shredded
• ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
• ½ cup raisins
• ½ cup walnuts, chopped
• ¼ cup oats
1. Put 2 racks in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake baking pan with liners, sprinkle half the oats on the liners and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt, set aside.
3. In a large bowl with a handheld or stand mixer on medium speed, combine the brown sugar and oil. Beat in the yogurt and apple sauce until fully combined - about 1 minute. Mixture will be gritty and thin. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
4. With a spatula, manually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and all flour pockets are gone - do not over mix. Fold in the finely shredded carrots, shredded coconut, raisins, and walnuts. Pour into prepared cupcake pans. Sprinkle the remaining oats on top.