Tulsa Police: Man Tasered For Threatening Girlfriend, Officers With Machete

Tuesday, January 21st 2014, 7:29 am
By: Dave Davis

Police tased then arrested a Tulsa man they say threatened his girlfriend and officers with a 20-inch machete early Tuesday. The man is in jail, but neighbors say they are scared for their families after what happened.

Court records show Norm Osteen had no criminal history in the state of Oklahoma before early Tuesday morning. Now Osteen is accused of two counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

And his neighbors couldn't be more surprised.

"At one point I heard him yelling out, ‘I'm gonna kill you dude,'" said witness Jacob Ide.

Ide lives at the Place Apartments, with his mother. Shortly after hearing Norm Osteen say that right outside his window, he saw police use a stun-gun on Osteen.

"It was impressive," Ide said. "It was really just immediate. One minute he was standing and the next minute he was down."

Police were called to The Place apartment complex in the 7900 block of South Yale at 12:30 a.m.

Officers said they found Norm Osteen, 42, in the parking lot holding the machete over his head. Police said Osteen walked toward an officer and said, "You're going to have to kill me."

Police say they tased Osteen then arrested him.

Shane Rojeski knows Osteen and said he's normally a nice quiet guy. When he found out that police suspect Osteen was under the influence of alcohol and Xanax, he became worried.

"Very concerning for me, my son, my family," Rojeski said. "It just doesn't seem like Norm. But I guess anybody can act a certain way under the influence of drugs and alcohol."

Rojeski said he is also worried about his daughter who stays with him twice a week.

Police Corporal Brandon Disney said Osteen's girlfriend told them Osteen had threatened her with the machete before police arrived, but she was not hurt.

They booked Osteen into the Tulsa County jail on complaints of assault with a deadly weapon and assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer. Jail records show he was being held in lieu of a $30,000 bond with a court appearance set for January 29.