Colorado Murder Suspect Headed Back After Oklahoma Court Hearing

Monday, December 30th 2013, 11:08 am
By: News On 6

The nationwide manhunt for a man accused of killing three people in Colorado, and burning their house down around them, ended in Oklahoma.

This weekend, 59-year-old, Harry Mapps was captured near the Arkansas state line in Roland.

Mapps waived his right to extradition Monday morning, meaning he'll be sent back to Colorado to stand trial.

Sheriff's deputies there say, after searching for more than a month, Mapps' arrest has everyone breathing a big sigh of relief.

Facing a slew of felonies including three first degree murder charges, Harry Mapps only had this to say outside a Sequoyah County courtroom.

Reporter: "Mr. Mapps, do you have anything to say?"
Mapps: "No, thank you."

On the day before Thanksgiving, Colorado sheriff's deputies say Mapps shot and killed 33-year-old Dawn Roderick and her parents, Reginald and Kim Tuttle.

They believe the fire that ensued at the home, in Rye, Colorado was started by Mapps, in an attempt to cover up the killings.

"You know I think about it as being my own family, my own siblings, and it tears up my heart to see this happen," said neighbor Nina Quimbly.

The Sequoyah County Sheriff's Office says Mapps worked for the Tuttles and has recently been fired.

12/29/2013 Related Story: Colorado Fugitive Wanted For Murder Arrested In Oklahoma

Shortly after the killings, a photo of Mapps was taken at a bank.

Deputies in Colorado say Mapps was cashing two $400,000 checks that were addressed to one of the victims.

Lisa Shorter, Pueblo County Sheriff's Office said, "You could tell by the different pictures we shared with the public, that he could change his physical appearance by shaving or not shaving."

For more than a month, tips rolled in and law enforcement tracked Mapps through Colorado, Texas and Oklahoma.

"He had actually kept the van that he had used all the way back a month ago," said Shorter.

On December 28, law enforcement was led to Mapps' van at the Interstate Inn on the Oklahoma/Arkansas state line.

"He refused to give one of his hands, his hands were concealed. It was a surprise takedown. He wasn't aware he was about to get arrested," said Sequoyah County Sheriff Ron Lockhart.

Officials say Mapps had lived with Reginald and Kim Tuttle up to a week before their deaths.

Deputies in Colorado say their family is relieved at the arrest, but they know this is only the first step on the long road ahead of them.

"They're anxious to see, in their minds, justice done," Shorter said.

The Sequoyah County Sheriff's Office says Mapps was a truck driver, and had stayed in Roland before.

He should be back in Colorado sometime in the next 24 hours.