Tulsa Homeowner Loses Dog, Birds To Space Heater Fire


Sunday, December 15th 2013, 2:54 pm
By: Dee Duren


Tulsa firefighters say a space heater sparked a house fire in the 1400 block of North Evanston.

The woman who lives in the home had gone grocery shopping and was planning to make Christmas candy to bring to the fire station, according to Tulsa Fire Department Captain Josh Rutledge.

A neighbor called in the fire, and when crews arrived they saw heavy smoke and flames coming out a bedroom window.

The woman lost her dog and two birds in the fire, Rutledge said.

"We always hate to see the citizens of Tulsa suffer loss," he said.

"The damage was extensive," Rutledge said. "We did contain the fire to the room of origin, but the whole house suffered severe smoke damage."

Damage was estimated at $20,000 to $30,000.

"Always make sure if you're using a space heater, don't leave it unattended. If you leave your home, turn it off," Rutledge said.

Never use an extension cord as they frequently are not rated to run a space heater, the captain said.