Tulsa Police Say Woman's Kidnapping Linked To Homicide Investigation

Friday, November 15th 2013, 11:52 am
By: News On 6

Tulsa police say their investigation into the city's 58th homicide helped them find a woman believed to have been in danger.

Police say she had been kidnapped, assaulted and tasered. Garry Livers is behind bars in connection with the kidnapping of a 27-year-old woman nicknamed "Rowdy."

Livers' arrest started with a murder investigation. Police have been making arrests all week in connection with the death of Quinton Shaver.

They say Livers wasn't present at the time of Shaver's murder, but that he runs in the same circle as one of the murder suspects.

Sergeant David Walker says the drug culture in Tulsa has risen to another level.

11/13/2013 Related Story: Woman Jailed For Murder In Tulsa's 58th Homicide Of 2013

"I'm sure as we speak, there are people out there in this situation that we don't know about," Walker said.

He said the smoking and selling of meth has escalated into beatings and kidnappings at gunpoint, and that the victims are too addicted to do anything.

Police say the investigation started Sunday, when a murder suspect and another man led them to a home where they found the body of 34-year-old Quinton Shaver.

"It's one of those cases where it didn't end with the death," Walker said.

Following the discovery, George July and John Hunter were arrested in connection with the murder. July is being held for first degree murder, possession of a firearm after conviction of a felony and possession of a controlled drug. Hunter is being held for accessory to murder.

Police were still searching for two women, Angel Proctor and Michelle Ashlock, who they believed to be present for the murder.

11/12/2013 Related Story: Tulsa Police Arrest Second Woman Sought In Connection With Murder Investigation

Proctor was arrested Tuesday and is believed to be equally responsible for Shaver's death. Ashlock, on the other hand, is considered a victim. When she was found, police say she had been severely beaten.

"Because of the addiction, she's out amongst people who are taking advantage of her," Walker said.

Police were still searching for a third woman they believed to be in danger, a woman who goes by "Rowdy."

On Wednesday, they found her.

Rowdy told investigators that two weeks ago, she was kidnapped at gunpoint by Gary Livers and another suspect.

"The heck of it is, is that they would come back. She was released...she could have called police, but she chose not to," Walker said. "I think it happened more than once."

Investigators say Rowdy's head and face were taped, she was kicked, stabbed, even tasered at times.

Livers was arrested Thursday. Police say both he and murder suspect George July use similar fear tactics.

"We know that they know each other more than just in passing," Walker said.

Livers is being held on a $50,000 bond for kidnapping after a felony conviction.

Livers has a record of convictions for assault with a dangerous weapon, placing bodily fluids on a government employee, transporting an open container and larceny. Two women have filed for protective orders against him in Tulsa County court over a period of several years.

Police are still searching for the second suspect in Rowdy's kidnapping. Police say that they have been told there are other bodies out there, in addition to Shaver's. So far, they say, those rumors have turned out to be false.