• 9 Whole Wheat lasagna noodles
• 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
• 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese
• ½ cup freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese
• 1 egg
• 32 oz tomato sauce, Pasta Sauce, or Simple Marinara Sauce* (recipe follows)
• 3- 4 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
• ½ teaspoon minced garlic
• ½ teaspoon dried Italian Seasonings
• salt and fresh pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, garlic, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
2. Cook pasta according to directions listed on package to al dente. Drain pasta (DO NOT rinse with water) and align lasagna noodles in a single layer on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
3. Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.
4. To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.
*To Make Simple Marinara Sauce:
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions to hot oil and sauté about 3 minutes until soft, adding garlic during last minute of sautéing.
2. Pour in crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow sauce to cook for about 25 - 30 minutes (which will allow some of the water in crushed tomatoes to evaporate)
3. While preparing pasta and lasagna filling, you can freeze or refrigerate left over sauce in a small airtight container for later use, adding fresh basil if desired.