Christmas Eve Chimney Fire Destroys 2 Owasso Homes, Displaces 18

Monday, December 24th 2012, 9:30 pm
By: News On 6

Firefighters battled a fire in Owasso that fully involved two homes on Christmas Eve.

The fire started in the chimney at a home near 83rd Place North and North 119th East Avenue and spread to a neighboring home.

Chelsea Parsons rented the home. She said a few minutes after they started a fire in the fireplace, her brother was outside and saw that the roof was engulfed in flames.

She said it couldn't have come at a worse time, Christmas Eve.

"We lost all of our clothes, I lost my dead daughter's photos, her bracelets from the hospital. We lost all the kids' toys and all their clothes, all their belongings, all their memories," Parsons said.

Wind blew embers over to a neighboring home and it was soon fully involved, as well.

The first home was destroyed and the second home was severely damaged.

No one was injured in the fire.

The Red Cross dispatched teams to help out about 18 people who were affected by the fire by giving them a place to stay, food, clothing, and shoes.

The majority of those people were in town visiting for the holidays.

"We just put large diameter hose lines on everything and tried to put it out, but it's just been a mess," said Owasso Fire Battalion Chief David Sole.

Photo from Owassoisms.