• 12 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
• 2 Tbsp light butter
• ¼ cup flour
• ¼ cup minced onion
• 2 cups skim milk
• 1 cup fat free chicken broth
• 8 oz Sargento 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
• salt and pepper
• 4 cups baby spinach
• 1/8 cup grated parmesan
• ¼ cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
• Butter flavored cooking spray
1. Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk. Add onion and cook another 2 minutes. Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and baby spinach. Pour into baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more buttered flavor Pam on top.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs gold.
I lightened this by reducing the butter, replacing the cream with skim milk and chicken broth, and adding some fresh baby spinach
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 cup: Calories: 296.67 • Fat: 7.7 g • Protein: 15.8 g • Carb: 34.5 g •Fiber: 5.3 g