An Army private charged in the biggest leak of classified information in U.S. history is reviving his request to have some charges dropped.
Pfc. Bradley Manning's civilian defense attorney said Wednesday he has filed a renewed motion seeking dismissal of two counts alleging Manning, a native Oklahoman, exceeded his authorized access to a Defense Department computer network.
The court-martial judge denied a similar motion last month. She will hear arguments at a pretrial hearing next week.
The renewed motion stems from a prosecution statement that the government plans to show that Manning used an unauthorized computer program to download information.
The defense claims the program is authorized for use on certain military computers. His lawyers say Manning was authorized to access every piece of information he allegedly sent to the WikiLeaks website.
Manning, a 24-year-old native of Crescent, Okla., faces possible life imprisonment if convicted of aiding the enemy, the most serious of the 22 charges against him. His trial is currently set to begin Sept. 21 but Lind has said it will likely be postponed to November or January.