Baked Candy Apples
4 medium apple(s), unpeeled, Granny Smith recommended
1/2 cup(s) water
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 average cinnamon stick(s)
7 piece(s) Weight Watchers by Whitman's Pecan crowns, or caramel medallions
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a melon baller or paring knife, de-stem and core each apple, leaving the bottoms intact.
• Place cored apples in an 8-inch glass baking dish. Pour water around apples in baking dish. Add lemon juice and cinnamon sticks.
• Cut candy into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside 8 teaspoons of candy pieces. Place remaining candy pieces into each apple.
• Place apples in oven and bake until apples are thoroughly cooked and fork-tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven briefly and top each apple with 2 teaspoons candy. Return to oven and bake until candy is just melted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove promptly and serve warm. Yields 1 baked apple per serving.
• For extra low-calorie decadence, add a dollop of fat-free whipped topping to each apple before serving (could affect PointsPlus values).
PointsPlus® Value: 5
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
• 3 large firm-ripe pears, peeled
• Fee drops red food coloring (optional)
• 36 dried currants
• 1 quart white grape juice, chilled
• 1 quart apple juice, chilled
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 bottle (liter) seltzer, chilled
1. With a small melon baller, scoop out 36 eye balls from pears, making sure to avoid cores; transfer balls to medium bowl. If using food coloring, add to the bowl and toss balls to distribute coloring; this will give "eyeballs" a bloodshot look. Using tip of pairing knife, cut small hole in center of flat side of each ball and insert 1 currant.
2. Combine grape juice, apple juice and honey in punch bowl or other large bowl and mix well. Pour in seltzer and add pear balls; serve cold. One serving is 1 cup of punch and three pear balls.
PointsPlus® Value: 3
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: none