TULSA, Oklahoma -- A new off-leash area for dogs opens in Tulsa Friday. The Golden Valley Stormwater Detention Facility at 10700 E. 56th Street will be open for Tulsa area dog owners to allow their dogs to run and play off-leash.
"Designating the facility as an off-leash area for dogs is a trial program to augment the City's two dog park areas – Biscuit Acres at Hunter Park and Joe Station at 2279 Charles Page Boulevard," a news release from the City of Tulsa states.
"Those areas have proven popular with dog owners and are heavily used, which prompted the trial use of the Golden Valley area for a similar purpose."
There is a difference between Golden Valley and the other dog parks, however. The new facility is not fenced, and regulations specify that dogs must be under control of an owner at all times.
Owners should bring items for removal of dog wastes and bring drinking water for their pets.
"Problems resulting from conflicts between dogs and owners and others using the facility could result in removal of the off-leash area designation for the Golden Valley area," the release states.
There is parking space for about 25 vehicles in a nearby area in the 5800 block of South Garnett Road. There are no bathrooms available.
The City of Tulsa issued the following rules for dog owners using the new off-leash trial facility:
Rules for use of off-leash dog areas
1. Off-leash areas are not enclosed by fences and are open to the surrounding communities, both residential and commercial.
2. Off-leash areas are not parks and have no visitor amenities.
3. "Owner" means any person, firm or corporation in possession and control of or custody of a dog.
4. An owner bringing a dog into an off-leash area is responsible for complying with these rules and any other rule, regulation and ordinance necessary to protect the health, welfare and safety of citizens.
5. An owner bringing a dog into an off-leash area is liable for and assumes the risk for the dog's conduct.
6. A dog in an off-leash area must be under the owner's immediate control. All owners must carry their leash with them at all times.
7. Any dog over the age of four (4) months must be currently vaccinated against rabies and have a current City of Tulsa license affixed or attached to the dog's collar or harness according to City of Tulsa Animal Code.
8. Any dog more than six (6) months old must be spayed or neutered according to City of Tulsa Animal Code.
9. Dogs NOT permitted in the off-leash area include:
10. Any excreta deposited by the dog in the off-leash area must be promptly removed and appropriately disposed of by the dog's owner. Water quality in this area is monitored. Deterioration of water quality due to animal feces may cause the off-leash designation to be revoked.
11. Any holes dogs dig must be filled. Make appropriate repairs to disturbed areas.
12. Any dog left unattended within an off-leash area will be considered "at-large," in violation of the City of Tulsa Animal Code.
13. A dog creating a disturbance or not properly controlled can be evicted from the off-leash area. For the safety of everyone in the area, immediately leash your dog if it exhibits aggressive behavior, and leave the area.
14. Do not allow your dog to bother, harass or chase other users of the detention facility area.
An owner bringing a dog into an off-leash area is responsible for complying with these rules and any other rule, regulation and ordinance necessary to protect the health, welfare and safety of citizens.