Family: Tulsa Hills Gunman 'Reached Breaking Point'

Friday, June 3rd 2011, 5:57 pm
By: News On 6

Lori Fullbright, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma – There are new details about Thursday's deadly shooting at the Tulsa Hills shopping center.

News on Six has obtained the protective orders filed by both the victim and the suspect and we talk to the suspect's family.

6/2/2011 Related Story: Gunman, Victim In Tulsa Hills Shooting Had Protective Orders Against Each Other

Charles Walker's family said he had been trying for weeks to resolve his issues with his ex-girlfriend, but kept hitting roadblocks until he just reached his breaking point.

His family doesn't want him remembered as the guy who wounded his ex-girlfriend, then killed himself. They say that moment of desperation isn't who he was.

Charles was the oldest of three kids and the one who always made others laugh. He lettered three years in football at Beggs as a defensive lineman. He later played for the University of Tulsa and was currently working at Spirit Aerosystems.

His family was afraid something tragic was going to happen, but never dreamed it would be this.

"Whatever happened on June 2, 2011, is not Charles Walker. That is not him, at all. He's a big soft person," Blair Walker, Charles' brother, said.

They say Charles and Shelby McClain had been struggling since May and finally broke up on Memorial Day.

She filed a protective order the next day. She says on May 14, 2011, he took her cell phone and didn't return it. On May 21, 2011, he says he followed her, called her relatives, started tracking her cell phone and harassing people she was texting and called her 30 times. She says each day, he continued to follow her, came by uninvited and called repeatedly.

Charles got his own protective order the next day. He said she'd changed the locks on May 23, 2011, and left him with nothing the clothes on his back. He said he tried over and over to contact her to get his stuff.  He said she threatened him saying, "She has something to take care of me."

His family said he just grew tired of the fight.

"Mom tried to tell him ‘you can live without things'. He kept saying ‘I need my things, I need my stuff,'" Blair Walker said.

His family says Charles made a terrible choice because he just couldn't see past that moment. Now, his family must live without him forever.

"He's gone. I'll miss him," Blair Walker said. "I love him and it's gonna be hard without him."

News On 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright went by Shelby's apartment, left her a message and messaged her on Facebook, but never heard back. A friend told News On 6 she's still in serious condition at the hospital.