Two Eastern Oklahoma Red Cross Shelters Close Down Friday
Friday, May 27th 2011, 2:08 pm
By: News On 6
KANSAS, Oklahoma -- The Red Cross says its shelters in Kansas and Vinita were closed Friday due to the lack of need.
Since Sunday, May 22, 2011, the Tulsa chapter of the Red Cross housed almost 25 people and served almost 500 meals.
- Housed 24 people in Red Cross shelters for a total of 41 overnight stays.
- Provided 73 comfort kits containing essential toiletries
- Served 482 meals and 299 snacks
- Distributed 22 clean-up kits
- Distributed 635 items such as water, rakes, shovels, gloves, and trash bags
Red Cross damage assessment teams have concluded their work and found:
- 33 home destroyed
- 39 homes with major damage
- 68 homes with minor damage
- 98 homes affected
Those wanting to help the victims of the storms in Joplin, in Oklahoma or in other areas may do so in several ways:
- Call 918-831-1170 during regular business hours (M-F, 8:30am – 4:30pm) to make a credit card donation
- Mail a check payable to the American Red Cross to:
American Red Cross
Tulsa, OK 74182
[Designate the specific disaster in the memo line.]
- Text RED CROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Red Cross Disaster Relief. The charge will appear on your cell phone bill; standard data rates apply.
People who would like to donate blood should visit www.redcrossblood.org to schedule an appointment.
5/23/2011 Related Story: How To Help Joplin Residents Devastated By Sunday's Deadly Tornado