Originally Published: Oct 23, 2009 10:44 PM CDT
Garth Brooks is going to Vegas, How much do you think he would put on his alma mater winning the Big 12 championship? Here are my 5 Most Valuable Players for the first half of OSU’s season:
5. DE Richetti Jones: Recovered from a serious hip injury suffered in high school and says he’s not the player he was in high school, but is a new player. Either way, the Cowboys are happy the new player is beginning to live up to the expectations the old player created.
4. RB Keith Toston: Yeah, he could probably go higher on the list, but just like in every other discussion of the Cowboys, he’s underrated. Toston’s been superb, overcoming injury and fumble problems early in his career, to insure the Cowboys haven’t missed a beat with Kendall Hunter injured.
3. RG Lane Taylor: It took a few games to find the right fit, but the Redshirt Freshman from Arlington has solidified a spot that was a question mark to begin the season. The run game and Zac Robinson are becoming more confident in him.
2. MLB Donald Booker: When your middle linebacker goes down the week of the opener, as Orie Lemon did, you better have someone who’s experienced and ready. Defensive Coordinator Bill Young said this week that they’re not surprised at Booker’s play because they expected great things from him anyway. They have to be thrilled at the way he’s produced.
1. QB Zac Robinson: Remember early in the year when people were asking what’s wrong with Zac. Is it his shoulder or his hamstring or his head? Well the answer now appears to be none of the above. When the ship is in turmoil, the captain better be cool under pressure. Robinson has been THE man with Bryant and Hunter out. Never underestimate the value of a quarterback who does not produce negative plays for his offense. With the Cowboys being the most-penalized team in the Big 12, it is more imperative that Robinson eliminate negative plays. He’s been sacked TWICE this year. When we say he’s making plays with his feet, it means more than just running the zone read.
Special Mention to the wide receivers: Hubert Anyiam, Dameron Fooks and Justin Blackmon. But there are three of you and I was trying to pick one guy at a time.
Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.