Mom Speaks Out After Daughter Dies In Mass Drug Overdose At Konawa Party


Sunday, May 8th 2011, 11:31 pm
By: News On 6


Jon Jordan, News On 6

KONAWA, Oklahoma -- Four people remained in the hospital Sunday night after taking a rare and new type of drug called 2C-E at a party in Konawa Friday night.

05/07/2011 Related Story: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Mass Drug Overdose In Konawa

Witnesses said there were 12 people at the party, and eight people took the drug. The drug was designed to have psychedelic affects, but after about an hour, those who took it began having seizures. Some even coughed up blood and, as a result, one family has to bury a loved one.

Lida Beckman was two states away when she got the call from her son that her 22-year-old daughter Stacy Jewell had died.

"He was gasping. I didn't understand what he was saying. I yelled at him and told him to calm down and I said. 'Robert, I can't understand what you are saying.' And all he screamed was Stacy's dead," Beckman said. 

Jewell was one of eight people who began having seizures and coughing up blood after consuming a liquid version of the drug 2C-E.

"She just kept having one seizure after another," said Ricky Prindle, who attended the party. "After she came out of one, she would say a little bit like she was hallucinating, telling us to get away from her, and then she would go into another bad seizure and cough up more blood."

Prindle said he was one of four people at the party who did not take the drug.

"When the officers arrived on scene before the ambulance, they just seemed awestruck by what was going on."

Prindle said the drug was given to one of the partygoers by 20-year-old Cody Weddle. Police have arrested him on one count of first-degree murder.

Prindle said Weddle bought the drug off the internet from a company in China.

The idea anyone can buy the drug easily off the internet was what made Stacy's mom so angry.

"What has this world come to if they can put stuff like this on the internet and not at least be sued to take the darn stuff off," said Beckman. "They can still be allowed to sell it and I can't do a thing about it.

Three more people who took the drug at the party were released from the hospital Sunday.