Vinita Girl Welcomed Home After Being Released From Hospital

Friday, April 15th 2011, 5:38 pm
By: News On 6

Emily Baucum, News On 6

VINITA, Oklahoma -- A Green Country girl got a big welcome home Friday.

Cameron Martin, 12, was released Friday after spending 75 days in the hospital and rehab.

"Oh my gosh. You don't even know. It's awesome. We've waited 75 days for this," Julie Martin, Cameron's mother, said.

The nightmare began when Cameron got the flu. The symptoms progressed to pneumonia and that's when the little girl took a turn for the worse.

"Then she got the MRSA and it just destroyed her lungs," Julie said.

Cameron spent two months at St. Francis Children's Hospital in Tulsa where she fought the infection with her parents by her side, her brothers back home in Vinita.

"You know, they've been put on the backburner the past few months and they've been beautiful," her mother said.

Cameron's brother won a state wrestling title, going to the mat in honor of his baby sister who was fighting for her life.

3/1/2011 Related Story: Vinita Wrestler Wins State Title For Little Sister In Tulsa Hospital

"She cried," Julie said.

"I'm just glad that people are there for me," Cameron said.

With so many people behind her, Cameron finally felt well enough to move to a rehab clinic in Oklahoma City, where she defied doctor's orders.

"The doctor told me that I would be here for four weeks and I said two weeks," she said.

Cameron focused on moving around again.

"Walking a lot and exercising," she said. "I can walk without someone having to hold onto me."

And finally, her three month nightmare is over as she said goodbye to doctors and nurses.

"She's been pretty overwhelmed. I think she's speechless," her mother said.

But before going home they made a stop in Tulsa to say thanks to the nurses who saved her life.

"The pulmonologist says she can go back to school but as far as my point of view she will not go back this year," her mother said.

Homework is on hold, as her family keeps Cameron closer than ever.

The town of Vinita welcomed Cameron home with a police and fire escort as friends lined the streets waving hello. Cameron came home to a completely remodeled bedroom.