TULSA, Oklahoma -- Four children escaped through a window in a mid-town Tulsa house during a fire Friday night. Tim Smallwood of the Tulsa Fire Department said the children were in the care of the oldest boy, age 16, when they said a cat knocked over a candle.
The call came in at about 10:19 p.m. in the 5300 block of 33rd St. South. When firefighters arrived, they found heavy flame and smoke coming from the southeast side of the house.
Flames spread quickly to the home's attic. The children were able to escape through the window and were not injured, but they were taken to the hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation, Smallwood said.
Smallwood said the fire attack was made difficult by an add-on to the house that was separated from the main part of the home. Firefighters had to enter the structure from both sides and work their way to the middle of the attic.
Flames were shooting 15 feet from the roof of the home at one point, a neighbor said.
Charity Rollings owns the house and was renting it to the family of five. She said her main concern was that the children got out safely.