Freezing Temps Trap Green Country Teen In Car Wash


Thursday, January 13th 2011, 6:15 pm
By: News On 6


Ashli Sims, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma – This week's freezing cold temperatures have caused water problems for many area residents.

But they caused a different kind of water problem for a Green Country teenager. It's the kind of winter weather reminder you forget about, until you're stuck.

Kassidy Johns is pretty fond of her little bug. They got real acquainted Wednesday morning when they stopped by an Okmulgee gas station.

"Got gas and I was like I need to wash my car cause I know they have a drive-thru car wash," she said.

The 18-year-old says she didn't really think about the below freezing temperatures when she rolled in and the water started spraying. Kassidy says she pulled into the car wash fine and her cleanup was almost complete when she hit a wall, literally.

"Well the door didn't open, so I keep going and it still didn't open," Johns said. "And finally it was like, "thank you for your business." And it still didn't open."

Instead of daylight, all she saw was the door, frozen firmly shut.

"At first I was a little scared like, ohh, please don't make me have to run out of here and hit this thing," she said, laughing.

She had her phone and a trusty emergency responder on speed dial.

"My dad's on duty today. He'll come rescue me, so he did," she said.

Kassidy's father, a firefighter, got busy prying her out, but he couldn't help teasing his daughter.

"He called me and was like ‘you got any food in there? And I was like ‘No, how long do you think I'm going to be in here. Oh, a couple of days til the door thaws out," she said.

"By this time, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. I mean we're just hee-hawing it down the road thinking how funny that is for Kassidy," her mother, Cindy Swearingen, said. "But then later, I get home and I'm thinking this could have been really bad."

Kassidy's mom says it's a funny reminder to a potentially serious situation. She says if Kassidy hadn't turned off her car, she could have been exposed to carbon monoxide.

Kassidy said she's learned her lesson.

"Don't wash your car in the winter time," she said.