Space Heater Sparks Tulsa House Fire Monday Evening


Monday, January 10th 2011, 7:25 pm
By: News On 6


NewsOn6.com

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa Firefighters responded to a house fire in west Tulsa Monday evening.

The fire broke out at a home in the 4900 block of West 11th Street just after 6 p.m.  Firefighters not only had to battle the flames, but the bitter cold temperatures as well.

A couple and their four children made it out of the home safely before firefighters arrived on scene. .

The family tells News On 6 the fire started because they were using a space heater and blanket. 

Tulsa Fire says homeowners need to be careful with the use of space heaters.

"They work really well. But most space heaters are open in the front to where any type of combustible that gets too close to the space heater can cause a problem," said Tulsa Fire district chief Eddie Bell.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.