Two Tulsa Homes Destroyed By Flames Sunday Night And Monday Morning


Sunday, December 5th 2010, 10:32 pm
By: News On 6


NewsOn6.com

TULSA, Oklahoma -- A Tulsa man tried to save his trailer home from fire by using a garden hose, and a Tulsa family saw their home go up in flames Sunday night. 

Despite the man's effort with a garden hose, Tulsa firefighters say the home was a total loss. 

Firefighters rushed to the 6600 block of East King Street just after 9 p.m. Sunday. When they arrived, fire was coming out of every window and door of the structure.  The man told firefighters he was watching TV when he smelled smoke.

"[The homeowner] walked back to the area where he smelled the smoke, opened the curtain and smoke over took him. He opened the door to get a hose, that's when it got a little bit more air inside and that's when the fire really took off," said Tulsa Fire District Chief Michael Atchinson.

Emergency crews say the man was so devastated by the fire, they actually had to tear him away from the garden hose. 

The trailer fire was ruled accidental.

About three hours later, a Tulsa family lost everything in a house fire. The Tulsa Fire Department received the call around 12:15 a.m. Monday about a house on fire on 46th Street North. 

Firefighters found the home engulfed in flames.  The family was able to get out safely.  EMSA treated some of the occupants for smoke inhalation but everyone is expected to be okay. 

As firefighters were cleaning up, they found the remains of a meth lab inside a room in the home. 

Fire officials say the lab wasn't the cause of the fire.  Instead they say the fire was started by a wood-burning stove.