Tulsa House Smolders While Family Attends Church

Sunday, September 27th 2009, 10:43 am
By: News On 6


TULSA, OK -- A Tulsa family was at church Sunday morning when a fire started in their garage in the 2400 block of South 128th East Avenue.

A neighbor reported hearing an explosion and called the Tulsa Fire Department at about 9:20 a.m.

"We believe the explosion was after the fact," said District Chief Bob Stern, "probably paint cans or something."

Seven fire companies responded to the fire and quickly knocked it down. Fire damage was restricted to the garage, while heat and smoke damage was throughout the house.

The family's dog was overcome by smoke and did not survive, Stern said.

Damages were estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents. Though the exact cause is not yet know, it does not appear to be suspicious in nature, Stern said.