Squash Stuffed With Rice And Peppers
Wednesday, July 22nd 2009, 12:36 pm
By: News On 6
Vegetable oil spray
2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
4 medium yellow summer or zucchini squash, cut in half lengthwise
1 ½ large onion, chopped
3 T basil (fresh)
1 T minced garlic
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup snipped fresh parsley
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine.
- Use a spoon to remove the seeds from the squash, leave the shell intact. Place the squash shells with the cut side up in a large baking dish. Coarsely chop the squash flesh and seeds.
- Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and light spray with vegetable oil spray. Cook the onions and peppers for 4 minutes, or until tender. Stir frequently.
- Stir the chopped squash, basil, garlic, and red pepper flakes into the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender. Stir frequently. Remove from the heat. Add the rice, parsley and salt.
- Spoon about ½ cup rice mixture into each of the squash halves, pressing down firmly with a spoon. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the squash shells are tender. Sprinkle with the cheese, if desired.