DIBBLE, OK -- Investigators say a man died from an Independence Day explosion that may have involved alcohol and improper use of fireworks near Dibble.
McClain County Sheriff Don Hewett says Richard Hines had apparently been drinking Saturday night when he lit the fuse of an artillery shell aerial firework and held the reloadable fiberglass launching tube above his head.
Instead of shooting into the air, the shell exploded and shot out the bottom of the fiberglass tube.
Hewett says several people standing close to the 26-year-old were knocked down from the concussion of the blast.
The sheriff says the incident occurred while a group of relatives were at his home.
Hines was taken to OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City where he died about 7:35 p.m. on Sunday.