Carbon Monoxide At Tulsa Middle School

Monday, May 4th 2009, 12:22 pm
By: News On 6

TULSA, OK -- Firefighters responded to a Tulsa middle school Monday morning because of carbon monoxide problems.

Firefighters with the Tulsa Fire Department were sent to Byrd Middle School at 7502 East 57th Street at about 11:00 a.m.

Construction is underway on the school's north gym. Tulsa Public School spokesperson Tami Marler said a construction worker began experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

Marler said the worker was using a gas power washer in an area without adequate ventilation.

Firefighter Tim Smallwood said the worker was taken to a Tulsa hospital.

Smallwood said firefighters found a CO reading of 55 PPM in the construction area.

No one was evacuated because the construction area was already closed off.