By Craig Day, The News On 6
SPERRY, OK -- A six-year-old boy is dead and a family is heartbroken after a fire destroys a home. It happened northwest of Sperry in Osage County.
There is nothing left but shock and disbelief after a fire swept through the home in a rural area near Sperry. There is also sadness at the loss of a young life.
"We know that he is with the good Lord," said family member Mike McIntosh.
Firefighters found the body of Derrick Hansen inside a hallway. He had just turned six last Saturday.
"You never think it's going to happen to you or your family. But, you just never know," said Mike McIntosh.
The Oklahoma Fire Marshal's Office says a family member noticed smoke, the family evacuated the home, but realized Derrick was still inside. They tried desperately to get him to safety, but couldn't.
"We just don't know what to do, but pray and hold on to each other and we're going to make it," said Mike McIntosh.
"They are a great family. They take anybody in, do anything for anybody," said Mike McIntosh.
The boy's grandmother is in the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Family members say they are shocked at how quickly the fire spread. The home was engulfed in flames within about 10 minutes. Despite the terrible loss, they say they are amazed at the outpouring of support they're getting from the community.
Within minutes, family, friends and neighbors arrived to comfort the heartbroken family. They say that support along with prayer will be the only thing that gets them through such a tragedy.
"Got to have the faith in the Lord and the Lord will always see you through if you believe in Him and stay with Him. He will guide you," said Mike McIntosh.
The fire marshal's office says a problem with an extension cord caused the fire.
A fund has been set up to help the family with expenses. It's the Hansen Family fund at Exchange Bank. People can make donations at branches in Sperry, Skiatook and Owasso.