Tulsa Apartment Fire Blamed On Discarded Cigarette


Friday, February 6th 2009, 7:18 am
By: News On 6


NewsOn6.com

TULSA, OK -- A Tulsa woman is in critical condition after a fire breaks out in her apartment early Friday morning. 

The fire occurred at the Tree Point Apartments near 11th and College.  Tulsa firefighters were called out shortly after 4 a.m. to the complex.

Upon arrival, they found smoke pouring from one apartment unit. A woman inside the apartment was taken unconscious from the living room area and firefighters performed CPR before rushing her to a Tulsa hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Fire officials say she is currently listed in critical condition.

Firefighters were able to stop the fire from spreading to other apartments in the building, but they still evacuated about 25 residents, just in case.

Tulsa Fire Captain Micahel Baker says the fire started in the apartment's bedroom, thanks to a discarded cigarette in a trash can.

Firefighters found a cat in the apartment that did not make it.

Damage is listed at $15,000.