IRS Special Tax Help Available

Saturday, January 31st 2009, 8:03 pm
By: News On 6

UNDATED -- The IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers in Oklahoma are expanding service to area taxpayers eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit by opening its doors on upcoming Saturdays.

The EITC is a refundable credit which can result in, or increase, a refund by more than $4,800 for eligible taxpayers. Taxpayers with incomes of $41,646 or less may be eligible to claim this credit, depending upon their tax filing and family status.

The extra days and hours are being added to the IRS walk-in office's regular schedule to help taxpayers potentially eligible for the EITC who may not be able to seek assistance during the work week.

Oklahoma's Saturday locations, dates and hours:

Location: 55 N. Robinson Avenue, Oklahoma City
Dates: February 7, and February 21
Hours: 9 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Location: 2202 SW A Avenue, Lawton
Dates: February 7, and February 21
Hours: 9 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Taxpayers who want to know if they qualify for the EITC are welcome to visit these offices. IRS personnel will be available to answer taxpayers' questions, offer additional information about the EITC, and prepare tax returns to claim the credit.

Taxpayers who would like assistance, but cannot visit an IRS office on one of these Saturdays can visit any IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center on any weekday for help.

Aside from IRS offices, taxpayers may also receive free help at more than 12,000 volunteer tax assistance sites nationwide. Taxpayers can locate their nearest VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) or TCE/AARP Tax-Aide free tax help site by dialing 211 or 311 in cities where such information services are offered, or by calling, toll-free, (800) 906-9887, weekdays between the hours of 7 a.m and 10 p.m., local time.

Learn more about free tax help through volunteer programs.

Taxpayers seeking assistance at any IRS office or volunteer site should bring with them identification and tax-related records, including:

  • Valid driver's license or photo identification (including spouse, if married)
  • Social Security cards for everyone to be shown on the tax return
  • Dates of birth for everyone to be shown on the tax return
  • All income statements, such as Forms W-2 and 1099, including Social Security, Unemployment, or other statements
  • Dependent child care information, such as the care provider's name, address and SSN or other taxpayer ID number
  • For refund direct deposit, or payment by direct debit, proof of account at financial institution (e.g. cancelled/ voided check or bank statement)
  • A copy of last year's tax return (if available)
  • Any other documents or papers the taxpayer feels may be important for tax purposes

Learn more about the EITC.

For tax questions, the toll-free number to call is (800) TAX-1040. For forms, instructions and publications, the toll-free number to call is (800) TAX-FORM. Both lines are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., weekdays.

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers:


  • 601 S. Harding, Enid, OK 73703
  • Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.(Closed for lunch 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.)
  • (580) 234-5417


  • 2202 SW A Avenue, Lawton, OK 73501
  • Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (Closed for lunch 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.)
  • (580) 357-5492

Oklahoma City:

  • 55 N. Robinson, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
  • Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • (405) 297-4057


  • 1645 S. 101st East Avenue, Tulsa, OK 74128
  • Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • (918) 622-8482