Former Investigator Arrested Again

Tuesday, November 18th 2008, 9:57 pm
By: News On 6

By Lori Fullbright, News On 6

SAPULPA, OK -- A former investigator for the Creek County District Attorney's office has had another run-in with the law. This time, he threatened suicide and crashed his SUV, forcing officers to use a taser to place him under arrest.

Ed Willingham, Jr. now has more mug shots than some of the people he arrested. He's a former lawman who has found himself on the wrong side of the law too often.

This time, he crashed his SUV into this telephone pole in Sapulpa. Officers got there and found him lying next to the vehicle and learned his family had gotten to him first. They believed he was going to kill himself and had been looking for him.

"They found him in possession of two firearms, one of which he was holding to his head, stating he was going to commit suicide and wrestled the gun away from him," said Sapulpa Police Major Jeff Gilliland.

Officers say Willingham appeared intoxicated and when he refused to follow their commands, they were forced to use a taser on him. He was sent to a hospital for a blood test and a mental evaluation.

Willingham's life began spiraling out of control in July of 2007 when his wife accused him of molesting a neighbor's daughter and an OSBI investigation began. She filed a protective order against him and he was arrested for violating it.

The day he was charged with the molestation, he bonded out of jail and hours later, someone set the Willingham home on fire. No one was ever been arrested in that case.

Earlier this year, Willingham was found slumped over the wheel of his car and was arrested for being intoxicated behind the wheel and while possessing a gun.

"I do have concerns that we keep dealing with him time after time after time. I'm concerned for everybody in this," said Major Jeff Gilliland.

Police believe Willingham needs help and they hope he gets it before someone gets hurt or even killed.

Charges from Tuesday's incident could depend on blood test results, which won't be back for six to eight weeks.

He faces counts of being intoxicated behind the wheel and while having guns, along with resisting arrest. He'll be in court December 23rd, for the molestation charges, violating the protective order and previous intoxication charges.