1 large red or yellow onion, diced
2 bell peppers (red and green)
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium butternut squash, chopped into ½ inch cubes
Zest of 1 lime, minced
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp blended chili powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
32 oz can no salt added chopped or crushed tomatoes
1, 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, and diced
¾-1 cup water, to cover
Juice of 1 lime
Optional: cooked brown rice, lime wedges, sour cream, fresh cilantro
1. In a large pot, sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until tender.
2. Add the squash and zest, and cook 10-15 minutes. Add a small amount of water if needed to prevent ingredients from sticking to the pot.
3. Add the cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, cloves, and water to cover ingredients. Lower the heat to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes more.
4. Stir in the canned tomatoes, beans, poblano pepper, and lime juice. Cook until heated through.
5. Serve over cooked rice. Garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, and cilantro if desired.
Yield: 10, 1 ½ cup servings
Nutrition information per serving without rice or garnishes: 102 calories, 4 gm protein, 21 gm total carb, 2 gm total fat with 0.2 gm saturated, 0 mg cholesterol, 6 gm fiber, 147 mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch
1 serving of this colorful chili provides 403 mg potassium,
over 85% of the Daily Value for vitamin A, and ¼ of daily fiber needs.
Source: Adapted recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD