1 cup plus 2 T whole wheat pastry flour
¼ c oat bran flour
2 T ground flaxseed
2 T wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 T brown sugar
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 cup shredded sweet potato
1/3 c nonfat plain yogurt
1 large egg
1 ½ Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Wash sweet potato well, grate using a cheese grater until you have 1 cup of shredded sweet potato. On a cutting board, cut shredded sweet potato into smaller length shreds. Set sweet potato aside.
3. Zest the orange and place zest aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, oat bran flour, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly.
5. In a smaller bowl, combine yogurt, egg, canola oil, orange zest.
6. Combine moist ingredients with dry ingredients.
7. Add golden raisins and sweet potato to the mixture, mix thoroughly.
8. Knead mixture for about 2 minutes.
9. Roll out on a flat, floured surface until dough is ½ inch thick.
10. Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into circles. Cut circles in half and place on a lined baking sheet.
11. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
One Sweet Potato Scone provides nearly 1/3 the Daily Value for Vitamin A
Yield: 18 scones
Nutrition information per serving: 76 calories, 2.5 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat with 0.2 g saturated fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 2 g dietary fiber, 78 mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch
Source: Adapted Recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD St. John Medical Center