Officials Reviewing Fight At School Dance

Monday, April 28th 2008, 6:17 pm
By: News On 6

The News On 6 is learning more about a fight at a middle school in Tulsa on Friday night. It took dozens of police officers to break it up. News On 6's Emory Bryan reports school administrators are trying to track down exactly what happened and determine if suspensions are in order.

The flyers advertising the dance read it was a "spring fling pajama jam" for grades six through eight where "tank tops and pajama pants" were acceptable attire.

The dance ended with a brawl outside and dozens of police officers at the scene to break it up. Police used tear gas on the crowd and had batons ready for the students after finding a big fight going on in the parking lot of Lewis & Clark Middle School.

On Monday, administrators were reviewing videotape of the fight to identify who was involved and decide what to do with them.

"Even though it wasn't a school function, it was on school property and they were TPS students. So, they're expected to follow the code of conduct, even if it wasn't a school sponsored event," said Tulsa Public Schools Spokesperson, Tami Marler.

Monday at the school, the principal was reported to be meeting with any parent with concerns about what happened, and with any student who was hurt. The district says the event was sponsored by a Lewis & Clark parent who had held events there before.

"Here were no administrators, no staff at Lewis and Clarke, only a custodian who was responsible for cleaning up and locking up. Other than that, no administrators because it was a parent's group that had rented the facility," said Marler.

In a letter to parents, the principal said for now the school will "dispense with all late night activities" and provide "no support for an 8th grade prom."

Despite the brawl, only one child required a trip to the hospital in an ambulance. The district reports the most serious injury was a 15-year-old boy with a bloody nose and some bruises.

The sheriff's office reports that another parent, an off duty deputy, was there in uniform, but the sheriff's office was not in charge of security.