Computer May Have Sparked Blaze


Friday, April 11th 2008, 7:35 am
By: News On 6


A short-circuit to a desk top computer is the probable cause of a fire which heavily damaged a Kenwood Elementary School computer lab on Thursday.   Because of the blaze, school officials closed the school on Friday.

School superintendent Dr. Kenneth Limore says the Delaware County school is working hard to make sure they are back in session on Monday.

"The State Fire Marshall will be here Friday morning; the insurance company has been contacted, and we are trying to get an adjuster down here. I just got off the phone with the State Health Department, they will be here, and we also called our fire alarm company trying to get our school back in operation," said Dr. Limore.   

The school has an enrollment of 123 students from kindergarten through eighth grade.

"We would like to commend, Kenwood, Oaks, Eucha, Leach, Chimney Rock, and Kansas Fire Departments for their quick response, it could have been a lot worse, it could have been a disaster, it could have burned the whole school," said Dr. Limore.

Kenwood School is located 10 miles east of Salina in Delaware County.

Find more stories on NewsOn6.com's Local News page.