Halftime Pita Nachos
Friday, February 1st 2008, 2:31 pm
By: News On 6
1 (15-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
3 (6 to 8-inch) round wheat pita breads
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 (4-ounce) can Diced Green Chiles
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tablespoon skim milk
3/4 cup (3 ounces) 2% reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup sliced ripe olives (optional)
1/8 hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. Cut each round into six wedges; Split each wedge in half and brush inside surface lightly with oil. Place wedges on baking sheet.
- 3. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
- 4. Combine beans, chiles, flour and hot pepper sauce in medium bowl. Combine sour cream and milk in small bowl. Top baked pita chips with bean mixture, cheese, tomato, olives, green onion and sour cream mixture.
- 5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 12 servings.
Source: recipe by Julie Pryer RD/LD St. John Medical Center