Man Pleads Guilty In Fort Dix Plot
Wednesday, October 31st 2007, 10:05 am
By: News On 6
CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) _ A man pleaded guilty on Wednesday to providing weapons to a group of men accused of plotting an attack on Fort Dix.
Agron Abdullahu, 25, faces up to five years in federal prison when he is sentenced Feb. 6.
Federal prosecutors have portrayed the New Jersey resident as having the smallest role among the six men arrested earlier this year in the case. While the others are charged with conspiring to kill military personnel _ a crime punishable by life in prison _ Abdullahu was charged only with weapons offenses.
Authorities said that while Abdullahu provided weapons to the other men, he resisted the idea of participating in an attack. The government said that he told the others at one point that it would be against Islam to kill civilians and that it would be ``crazy'' to attack the military installation.
Authorities said the men scouted out East Coast military installations to find one to attack but settled on Fort Dix largely because one of them knew his way around from delivering pizzas to the base for his father's restaurant.
The installation was not attacked, and the other five men have pleaded not guilty. They are scheduled to go on trial in January.