Oklahoma officials say safe room rebate program no longer exists
Wednesday, May 14th 2003, 12:00 am
News On 6
(Oklahoma City-AP) -- State emergency officials say they're being flooded with calls about a storm shelter program that no longer exists.
Department of Civil Emergency Management spokeswoman Michelann Ooten says several callers are asking about the Safe Room Program.
Safe rooms are above ground rooms made of concrete and designed to withstand winds from most tornadoes.
The Safe Room Program began after the May third, 1999, tornadoes and offered a two-thousand dollar rebate to people who built safe rooms in their homes.
But Ooten says the program ran out of money long ago and no longer exists.
Interest in the program has jumped since tornadoes last week hit Moore, Oklahoma City, Midwest City, Bethany, Choctaw and Stroud.