Voters may vote on fuel tax increase in 2004


Thursday, April 3rd 2003, 12:00 am
By: News On 6



(Oklahoma City-AP) -- The Senate has passed a bill asking Oklahoma voters to raise taxes on gasoline and diesel to pay for road and bridge improvements.

The bill would increase the gas tax by five cents per gallon and the diesel tax by eight cents per gallon if approved by voters in November 2004.

The bill has passed the House, but will return there for consideration of Senate amendments.

The measure calls for 60 percent of the gas tax and all of the diesel tax increase to be used for road and bridge repairs. The remaining 40 percent of the gas tax would go to airport improvements, passenger rail service, waterway improvements and county and municipal projects.