Fireplace safety check


Wednesday, November 28th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


This winter weather has many people turning up the heat. Before you stoke up your fireplace, make sure it's been professionally checked and cleaned.

Many homeowners opt for the gas-fired fireplaces. Experts say you need a checkup every year, and a good cleaning about every five years. According to Chimney sweep Bert Rennels, once you light it, make sure you open your damper. "If they're not vented right, you can get carbon monoxide gases come out. And that's why I recommend anybody who puts in gas logs, if they don't have a CO detector to get one."

Carbon monoxide will sting your eyes, but the best way to spot it is to have a detector nearby.