Sand Springs fire destroys house and injuries several residents


Monday, April 22nd 2002, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


Fire investigators now say an electrical fire is to blame for the devastating blaze that swept through a Sand Springs home early Monday morning.

Four people were taken to the hospital. The homeowner Tracy Walters says he and his family were asleep, when his wife woke him up. By then, half the house was on fire.

Walters says they got out quickly with their baby. But their two older boys were still inside. "She ran into the bedroom, grabbed our baby and said come on. We went out the back door, then she started saying get my boys, save my boys. Our oldest son was kicking out, punching out the back window, he dove out. I reached in, got the 7 year old and threw him out on the porch."

The fire gutted the home and destroyed the family's two cars, and killed two pets. One child has second degree burns. The rest of the family was checked out for cuts and smoke inhalation.

At this time, it doesn't appear the home had a smoke detector.