Department offers youth wildlife camp

Friday, February 16th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation is offering a week long camp to youth interested in wildlife, fishing and law enforcement. The Oklahoma Wildlife Law Enforcement Youth Camp will be held June 10-15 at Camp McFadden near Ponca City. It is open to Oklahoma youths ages 14 to 16.

"This is a perfect opportunity to provide youth who think they might be interested in a wildlife related career a better exposure to the outdoors," said Tracy Daniel, Kay County Game Warden for the Department. "They will learn a great deal about the state's wildlife and fisheries resources and what it takes to manage and protect those resources. We hope those who participate in the camp will come away with a stronger desire to pursue a wildlife-related career and a greater respect for the Wildlife Department and Oklahoma's natural resources."

The camp will be conducted by professionals including game wardens and biologists and will offer participants courses in firearms handling, wildlife law enforcement, and wildlife and fisheries biology. Other courses will include water safety, orienteering and map reading, survival, outdoor cooking, archery and techniques for fishing, hunting and trapping.

The camp is free of charge but will be limited to 35 participants. Those interested in participating must submit an application and a 75-word essay explaining why they want to attend the camp, why they believe they should be selected and what they expect to learn while attending. They must also submit a letter of recommendation from the person of their choice.

The application deadline is April 15. Applicants should be interested in wildlife law enforcement and must turn 14 before June 10. Additionally, applicants must have been enrolled in school during the 2000-2001 school year.

To obtain applications, contact the Wildlife Department's Law Enforcement Division at 1801 N. Lincoln, Oklahoma City, OK 73105, or by calling 405/521-3719. Applications may also be available from local wardens or from the Wildlife Department's web-site at: Simply print off the application, fill it out and mail it in with the essay and letter of reccomendation.