Mother, daughter die in house fire


Friday, July 28th 2000, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


(Enid-AP) -- A 14-year-old girl and her invalid mother have died trying to escape their smoke-filled home today.

Fire Chief Philip Clover says firefighters believe Jennifer O'Mara was trying to get her mother, Kathy, out of her bed when she was overcome with smoke. The teen-ager's body was found on the floor in a rear bedroom.

The 48-year-old woman's body was partially off the bed. Clover says the fire in the small wood frame house began in the living room with an overloaded electrical circuit. Flames were shooting from the front door when firefighters arrived. The fire chief says there was no smoke detector in the home.