Investigators say drowning was accident
Thursday, December 16th 1999, 12:00 am
News On 6
STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) -- A 3-year-old boy accidentally drowned in a bathtub and his distraught grandmother attempted to kill herself by ingesting antifreeze, Oklahoma State University police Chief Everett Eaton said. Eaton said an autopsy on the body of Jayant Padmanabhan didn't find anything inconsistent with drowning.
The child died Dec. 10 at his home in the married student housing area at Oklahoma State. Eaton said the child's grandmother told investigators she was drawing a bath for the boy and was sitting near the tub with the
boy when she fell asleep. She was treated at Stillwater Medical Center over the weekend and released Monday.
The child's grandparents had been on an extended visit to their daughter, Sulabha Krishnan, 28. She is an OSU graduate student. The child's father lives in India. Eaton said there was nothing to indicate the death was anything other than an accident. A toxicology report has not been completed.