One injured in Oklahoma City fire


Sunday, January 9th 2005, 4:07 pm
By: News On 6


OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ An electric heater is being blamed for a fire that injured an Oklahoma City man.

The fire broke out in one of six apartment units at the rear of an industrial garage on the city's northwest side. Officials say a heater was placed to close to clothes or some other flammable material.

Mike Vernon, a fire battalion chief, says firefighters were struggling to reach the blaze when a propane tank exploded in one of the apartments.

Firefighters hadn't gotten into the structure when the tank blew and were still stretching the lines to get to the fire.

One man suffered minor injuries while fleeing the fire. Vernon says he had some singed hair and sustained some smoke inhalation. Firefighters gave him some oxygen before paramedics arrived.