Explosion Sends 2 To Hospital
Wednesday, April 4th 2007, 12:05 pm
By: News On 6
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Two 13-year-old Oklahoma City girls are hospitalized after a small explosion in a science lab at ASTEC Charter Middle School Wednesday morning. Emergency Medical Service Authority spokeswoman Lara O'Leary says the girls complained of shortness of breath but are in good condition.
School officials say students mistakenly mixed fertilizer and bleach shortly before 10 a.m. Wednesday causing a flash and a strong odor.
There was no damage to the lab, according to fire department Battalion Chief Todd Matthews, and students were allowed to return after the smoke dissipated.
The school is located in Shepherd Mall in northwest Oklahoma City.