Broken Arrow Dog Dies After Eating Tainted Pet Food


Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 9:17 pm
By: News On 6


A Broken Arrow couple is convinced their dog is the latest victim of tainted pet food pulled from store shelves nationwide this past weekend. More than 90 brands of dog and cat food were recalled after the FDA received complaints they were causing kidney failure and death. The Kelley's lost their 15-year-old Shitzu, Bitsy, Tuesday afternoon. The News On 6’s Chris Wright reports they say she became sick shortly after eating some tainted food.

"She was just a loving dog, never complained about a thing, just a great pet," said Raymond Kelley.

Bitsy died from kidney failure on Tuesday. Her owners say that over the past few weeks she had stopped eating, was throwing up and had become lethargic. Bitsy was an old dog, 15 years old in fact, but the Kelley's say she was still lively and didn't get sick until she started eating the tainted food.

"She was jumping around and healthy and going for walks, jumping off the bed and running down the hall. She hadn't been sick," said Susie Kelley.

The Kelley's started feeding Bitsy Nutro dog food last summer. Nutro is one of the more than 90 recalled Menu Foods brands. The FDA says those brands are responsible for the deaths of at least ten pets nationwide. The Marina Animal Clinic treated Bitsy and says kidney failure is common among older dogs, and there is no way to be certain if the Nutro food caused her death. The Kelley's though are positive it had something to do with it.

"I'm convinced she didn't get sick and start acting funny until this whole thing started, she started eating this food," said Raymond.

While they hope to figure out exactly what caused her kidney failure, regardless of what killed Bitsy, they say it will be tough not having her in their home.

"When you're used to having a pet around, then you don’t have it anymore, it's an adjustment. She was a lover,” said Susie.

The Marina Animal Clinic will perform an autopsy on Bitsy Wednesday. Menu Foods has conducted its own tests on the tainted food. The company fed it to 50 animals, and says as many as one in six died after eating it.

Related Stories:

3/16/2007 Pet Food Maker Announces Huge Recall Amid Reports Of Pet Deaths

3/17/2007 Major Recall OF Pet Food Has Animal Owners Frantic

3/19/2007 Pet Food Recall