Three Hospitalized After Stabbing, Including Suspect

Monday, February 19th 2007, 4:54 pm
By: News On 6

Police are piecing together what caused a man to stab two women, then turn the knife on himself. It happened at the South Glen apartments at 57th and South Peoria just after 4 p.m. Monday. Police say one woman was a leasing agent for the complex, the other was the apartment manager. According to witnesses one victim used to live in the complex with the suspect, but had moved out, yet she still worked there. Witnesses say the suspect chased one woman out of the office, hit her over the head with a beer bottle, and then stabbed her after she fell to the ground. News on 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright reports ironically, the most severely injured of the three is the man who allegedly started it all.

The suspect approached the women in the office, one woman was stabbed, the other ran out the backdoor and that's when residents knew there was a problem.

"The lady screamed for help, came out and turned the corner and he hit her in the head with a beer bottle, then started punching her and grabbed a knife out of his pocket and was stabbing her, slicing her," witness Andrew Bennett said.

As people came outside and called 911, the suspect took off, first trying to get into a white Mustang, but when he wasn't successful he ran across the street. A woman driving home from the store saw him.

"Saw a guy jump a fence by an elementary school and he had blood all over his throat," said witness Kathy Pollard.

Witnesses say the man sliced his own throat, and seemed to pass out in the grass. But when police arrived he tried to run again.

"Prior to being taken into custody, he cut himself with a knife and fought with police and continued to fight with EMSA personnel on his way to the hospital," Tulsa Police Officer Scott Walton said.

People in the area say it was a very graphic crime and they are troubled to have it so close to home.

"It's just heartbreaking and crazy,” witness Jessica Pollard said. “Whole world is crazy with all this violence."

The suspect is in custody, but he will not be taken to jail until he's released from the hospital. His condition and the condition of his two alleged victims are unknown.