Victims of Phoenix 'Serial Shooter' observe suspects during court hearing
Monday, September 25th 2006, 9:39 pm
By: News On 6
PHOENIX (AP) -- Two men accused in the region's "Serial Shooter" case appeared briefly in court Monday, giving victims a chance to see the duo in person for the first time.
Tony Long, shot on June 20 just outside downtown, seized the opportunity. He stared at the two suspects from across the courtroom, trying to draw their attention.
"I wanted them to look at me. I'm still here," Long, 47, said after the hearing. "I wanted to slap them."
The two men -- Dale S. Hausner and Samuel John Dieteman -- are accused of murder and attempted murder in a series of late night attacks since May. They have pleaded not guilty.
Police have searched the apartment the men shared, Hausner's car, and other locations to see whether Hausner, 33, and Dieteman, 30, should be charged with attacking 21 other people and animals in a shooting spree dating to last year.
In all, the shootings grouped in the Serial Shooter investigation left seven people dead and 17 wounded.
During the brief pretrial hearing in Maricopa County Superior Court, Deputy County Attorney Vince Imbordino said he wanted to see handwriting samples from both men. He declined to say why he needed the samples.
Another pretrial hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 15.
Long said he planned to be at every hearing. He said he's still angry.
"I'm still pulling buckshot out of me," he said outside the courthouse. He hoisted his T-shirt to display an array of scars splattered across his torso.
Dieteman and Hausner are two of three men recently accused in the two serial killing cases that have terrified the Phoenix area.
Mark Goudeau, 42, was arraigned Monday in court on two sexual attacks linked to the "Baseline Killer" investigation.
Goudeau, who has a history of violence, faces 19 felony counts stemming from a Sept. 20, 2005, attack on two sisters in Phoenix. He also was charged with drug use or possession dating to Sept. 6, the day he was arrested.
Goudeau pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Baseline Killer, named for the street where many of the crimes were committed, is thought to have slain eight people in a series of 23 attacks since August 2005. Goudeau is charged in just one of the attacks. Police say they have not excluded him as a potential suspect in the others.