Three Lawton children killed in fire


Tuesday, November 22nd 2005, 5:11 am
By: News On 6


LAWTON, Okla. (AP) -- Authorities say three children were killed when fire engulfed their home.

4-year-old Kaleb Nichols and 3-year-old Kiyanna Nichols were found dead at the scene of Monday's blaze. The state Medical Examiner's office says 16-year-old Rachel Ward died from smoke inhalation after being flown to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City.

Linda Ward, Rachel's mother and grandmother of Kaleb and Kiyanna, tried to re-enter the house after carrying a fourth child to safety.

Firefighters were called at 12:56 AM.

Neighbor Tamara Jones heard Ward's screams and called 911.

She says she, Linda Ward and others knocked out a window where the children were but the smoke kept Linda Ward from going inside.

Lawton Fire Marshal Mark Mitchell says the fire might have been started by a space heater or faulting wiring.

The investigation is ongoing.