Shooting suspect arrested by Tulsa Police

Monday, November 21st 2005, 7:37 am
By: News On 6

A Tulsa man charged with murder is behind bars. Tulsa Police believe he killed a man inside a midtown apartment a couple of weeks ago and also shot a security guard last week.

Police say the suspect was hiding in an east Tulsa motel.

News on 6 reporter Heather Lewin says Tulsa Police made the arrest of 24 year old Andre Hernandez, two weeks after the body of 26-year old Jameson Wilson was found inside an open apartment doorway.

Investigators say Wilson had gone there for a party and was shot to death. They were on the trail of Andre Hernandez and were hoping to track him through an acquaintance, when they say Hernandez struck again, shooting security guard Dustin Aunquoe in the face last week. Tulsa Police Sgt Mike Huff: “the morning we responded to the security guard shooting, we knew we were within 2 or 300 feet of that person's apartment.”

Police knew Hernandez had a friend at this apartment complex and suspected he was hiding there after the murder. They say it was likely a case of mistaken identity that landed the security guard in the hospital, investigators believe Hernandez deliberately shot the guard, thinking he was a Tulsa Police Officer.

Aunquoe was shot twice, protected once by his bulletproof vest, but hit the second time, in the jaw. He likely didn't know he was confronting a suspected murderer, when police say Hernandez grabbed for his gun. "We believe he was in the laundry room because he couldn't get access to the apartment he wanted to be in that night, because that person wasn't at home."

Tulsa Police say Hernandez had the guard's weapon when they arrested him. “We were very pleased there wasn't any further violence when we took the suspect into custody."

Police also arrested 34-year old Javier Hernandez and 24-year old Alisha Freeman, both for accessory to murder. Hernandez faces several charges including murder in the first degree and shooting with intent to kill.

A friend of the security guard tells the News on 6, he is still hospitalized but doing well and that the family is relieved by news of the arrest.