Cinnamon Walnut Stuffed French Toast
Wednesday, December 12th 2007, 2:46 pm
By: News On 6
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- Serves 6-8 people
- For the French Toast1 loaf Challah Egg Bread, sliced into 12 - 16 slices
4 each eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
butter as needed
For the stuffing
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
1 tablespoon milk
For the syrup
1 cup pure maple syrup
3 each cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1. Combine all ingredients for stuffing in bowl of a mixer. Starting at a low speed, mix all ingredients until incorporated, scraping bowl as needed to insure thorough mixing. Increase mixing speed to high to add volume. Mixture should be light and airy.
2. While stuffing is mixing, combine syrup cinnamon sticks and vanilla in small sauce pan and heat over medium heat. When mixture bubbles slightly reduce heat and simmer 10 - 15 minutes and let cinnamon sticks steep in hot syrup. Remove from heat and carefully remove sticks with a utensil and reserve syrup in serving container.
3. Heat griddle to medium high heat. (water droplets should "dance" on surface) Season the griddle surface lightly with butter.
4. While griddle is heating, in a shallow square dish, mix egg, vanilla and sugar. Spread stuffing mixture lightly on 1 piece of bread. Top with another slice of bread. Repeat with rest of bread. Lightly batter the bread in egg mixture and place on hot griddle surface. Repeat with rest of bread. Turn "sandwiches" after 3-5 minutes or browned on griddle surface. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes until done. Serve with warm syrup.